Discovery House is a diverse community of learners, both children and adults. Our children are aged 3 months to 12 years. The adults are parents, grandparents, domestic caregivers, teachers, and administrators. Each child is unique, and in recognition of that, we lovingly and skillfully collaborate with all mentioned adults to assist each one to become a masterpiece. We articulate the operations of our school under three umbrellas:
In recognition of God’s mandate when He created man, our driving purpose is:
To educate the total child for God and humanity
As a continually evolving Learner’s Paradise
- We seek continually to provide what the children need to develop the attitude, skills, and knowledge to serve the Kingdom of God on earth.
- We seek continually to support and facilitate the development of the knowledge and skills staff and parents need in order to fulfill God’s purpose for them in the lives of the children.
We operate under the belief that God created each person for a specific purpose and we must work with Him to unfold that purpose in the life of every child who comes to us.
The Montessori curriculum varies at the three levels of our school, but the goals are consistent throughout the programs:
- Enable children internalize and fully grasp concepts by the use of concrete materials and experiences.
- Lead children to mastery of precisely identified spiritual, intellectual, emotional, social, and physical skills.
- Ensure success by progressing logically, and at the individual child’s pace and learning style.
- Give children the joy of making discoveries.
- Encourage self-motivation and self-discipline.
- Help children develop a positive self-image, imagination, wonder, humor, and joy.
- Balance self-reliance, independence, and responsible freedom with the skills of working cooperatively with peers.
- Instill in each child a sense of duty and personal responsibility for the world in which we live.
- Enter into a partnership with parents in the education of their children.
The world is fast becoming a global village. Children need to be prepared for life in the multicultural, multilingual world of the 21st century.
Our vision is to develop bilingual global citizens who can seamlessly transition between Francophone and Anglophone cultures.
We chose French because it is the most widely spoken language after English (by countries). In addition, there are many advantages to learning a second language; it increases creativity, enhances verbal and mathematical problem solving skills, and helps the children in developing an advantage in grasping and formulating concepts.